Thursday, October 14, 2010

destroying boxes

When I started Crossfit I never imagined it would reignite in me a fire of competitiveness that I believed was long ago & forevermore snuffed out. Yet over the past 6 weeks I have come to realize that the fire is definitely blazing and it may have only needed redirection & new purpose.

Tonight, as I ponder the 50 Deadlift Challenge and Carey Keplers 1:02 that awaits me tomorrow, I cant help but think of my track days. See, before I was really good...I was average. I remember very well my junior year of high school and running 5:20 after 5:20 in the mile and, though I was winning races, knowing the times were only average. In all honesty, I was content with 5:20...I thought it was what I had to give. My coach, Rick Bishop, believed in me more than I did. Constantly, he would coach me to stay with the front runners and constantly I would look to my watch, see that the pace was too fast & slow down, only to get second or third, running another 5:20. But one day, a very cold February day in Pocatello, Idaho, I decided to take the advice of Coach and stick with the front runners of the mile final. On that day, not only did I win the mile at the Simplot Games but I set a PR of 4:59.

So, what does this have to do with crossfit or the 50 DL challenge?? Well, when I was 16yrs old I had put myself into a 5:20 mile box and it took doing something seemingly crazy to realize & prove that I didn't belong there. That said, It is very tempting to be content with my 1:18- 5o DL time and not even attempt to compete with the likes of Carey Kepler... but I now know better. See, winning is not where the fire of competitiveness is ignited in my life but it is set ablaze through the desire to destroy any box of capability I have created in my mind. Truth is, I was never the fastest miler in the United States but after the box was destroyed I did push myeslf to be the fastest miler I could be. As I am reminded of this tonight, I commit to being the best crossfitter that I can be and never create a box that defines my capabilities. I will deadlift again tomorrow...Coach Rick Bishop speaking in my mind, telling me I can be the best.... and I will perform beyond my percieved capabilities.

so, who needs to break so capability boxes?!?! It starts now!!!

1 comment:

  1. Getsome Katie. . . .
    Seriously keep it up, hard work never fails.

    ReplyDelete